From Shaker Pedia
Shakerpedia now has an alpha release of a searchable version of the Richmond 'Shaker Literature Bibliography'. The Bibliography has over 4000 references of books, articles and other materials by and about the Shakers. It is the most extensive single reference to writings by and about Shaker's. It is also many pages of references with only general sections and a basic index, this project provides digital indexing and lookup of the 2 volumes and nearly 600 pages of detailed references.
There are a number of aspects still to be worked on, giving the following state:
- Current web display shows simple text display of each entry, highlighted, with the entry before and after it.
- The processing of the entries has had issues with some special characters like 1/2 or 1/5, messing up displaying
- Each web page links to the pdf page with the main entry on the web page.
- Some entries are not properly split from previous or next entry, this is addressed by the point above.
- There a number of intermediate entries that are not numbered, since the OCR logic doesn't always get the right entry number.
- Needs highlighted display of related symbols at the end of each entry, these are in the 'Symbol Keys' popup.
- Needs linking on 'see also' entries
- Hence the current state of the search will work best if you have available a copy of the printed book.
- Table of contents (below)
- Richmond Preface by John W. Chandler
- Richmond introduction by Mary Richmond (incredibly detailed coverage of Shaker reference sources)
Title page and Table of contents
- SHAKER LITERATURE, A Bibliography
- Compiled & Annotated by MARY L. RICHMOND, IN TWO VOLUMES
VOLUME I. BY THE SHAKERS
- Foreword by John W. Chandler ix
- Introduction xv
- Organization xvi
- Collectors and Collections xix
- Shaker Manuscripts xxv
- Previous Shaker Bibliographies xxvi
- Entry Forms xxvii
- Acknowledgments xxx
- Symbols and Abbreviations xxxv
- Shortened References xxxvii
- Library Location Symbols xlvi
- Books, Pamphlets, Broadsides 1
- Almanacs 5-8
- Catalogs, Broadsides, Advertising Flyers, Etc. 25-61
- Indentures 113-114
- Inventories 114-115
- The Manifesto 138-142
- Music Leaflets 152-155
- Music Leaflets 152-155
- Notices to Visitors, Rules of Behavior, Etc, 162-163
- Novitiate Covenants 164
- Patents 167-170
- Periodical Articles 217
- An Annotated Bibliography of the Reported Decisions of the Courts . . . Relating to
- the Shakers, Compiled and Edited by Gerard C. Wertkin 247
VOLUME II. ABOUT THE SHAKERS
- Symbols and Abbreviations ix
- Shortened References xi
- Library Location Symbols xiii
- Books, Parts of Books, Pamphlets 1
- Periodical Articles 143
- Addenda, Corrigenda, and Reprints 1973-1974 231
- Supplement 1973-1974, and Forthcoming Works 247
- Title and Joint Author Index 267
- Published in 1977
- by SHAKER COMMUNITY, INC. Hancock, Massachusetts
- and distributed by the UNIVERSITY PRESS OF NEW ENGLAND, Hanover, New Hampshire
IN MEMORY OF
Eldress Catherine Allen Elder Alonzo Giles Hollister Eldress Emma B. King Wallace Hugh Cathcart John Patterson MacLean Edward Brockway Wight
- The pioneers whose remarkable foresight assured
- the preservation of Shaker printed materials in the
- collections that made this bibliography possible.