Tyringham,MA

From Shaker Pedia

Revision as of 16:57, 12 March 2017 by Richr (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Shaker community was established in 1792, and flourished, acquiring more than 2,000 acres (810 ha) in Tyringham and adjacent towns at the height of the movement's popularity. The farmstead of William Clark on Jerusalem Road was the site of the main settlement, with a satellite settlement about .75 miles (1.21 km) further north. In addition to the their communal living and worship spaces, the Shakers built a number of mill buildings, workshops, and even a furnace. The population of the settlement began to shrink in the years before the American Civil War, and its demise was hastened by the departure in 1858 of 23 individuals. In the 1870s the remaining Tyringham Shakers moved to other settlements (in Hancock, Massachusetts and Enfield, Connecticut).

  • Books: Tyringham Shakers, by Stephen J. Paterwic, 142 pages, illustrations, 23 cm., 2013. ISBN: 978-1-937370-08-4
  • Paterwic paper
  • Biographies

page 218 from Shaker Dictionary

Other Articles